Two water deaths over the weekend

Police are investigating two deaths in the water that occurred over the weekend. The first one happened on Seven Mile Beach and the other one was in the Rum Point area.

On Saturday, 25 May 2013, around 4:25 p.m., 911 received a report that a man had been pulled from the water unconscious in the vicinity of the Avalon Condominiums on the Seven Mile Beach. Emergency personnel were dispatched to the scene. The victim was transported to the Cayman Islands Hospital, George Town, where he was pronounced dead around 5:07 p.m.

The victim was a 41-year-old member of the Uruguay Special Olympic team who was in the Cayman Islands to participate in the Butterfield 800 metre swim.

On Sunday, 26 May 2013, around 4:15 p.m., 911 received a report that a 64-year-old man had been missing for 25 minutes off Rum Point Drive. Due to the weather conditions the Marine Unit was unable to be assist in the rescue. As a result the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service Air Operations Unit was deployed. The victim was located by the helicopter personnel and brought ashore with the assistance of the police and his relatives, where they commenced CPR until the arrival of the medical personnel.

Police said, “When the initial report was received that a man was missing – marine, air and land based resources were immediately deployed.  The police helicopter was the first unit to arrive at the location – some four minutes after the report.”

“The helicopter crew spotted the missing man on the reef in the Driftwood area, approximately 50 yards from shore. Marine and land based resources were a short distance away.  However, due to the urgency of the situation, the helicopter crew made the tactical decision to hover deplane one of their tactical flight officers onto the shore.  The helicopter hovered about 3 feet from the beach and the officer alighted. Together with two of the missing man’s friends, he made out into the water to bring the casualty back to shore. The wave height at the time was around 2-3 feet and crashing across the reef. In the meantime, the helicopter had landed nearby and  the second tactical flight officer attended the beach with the helicopter medical equipment and the AED. CPR was carried out on the man until the arrival of the EMT unit a few minutes later.”

He was subsequently transported to the Cayman Islands Hospital, George Town, where he was pronounced dead at 5:40 p.m.

The victim was an American tourist who had arrived in Cayman on the 25 May 2013.

Comments are closed.

Share your opinions with us

Cayman 27 wants to hear what you have to say! Help us get to know you better by taking a quick survey.

Take Survey No Thanks